This post is part of a recurring series here on BSB – we share a wedding budget tip every Tuesday to help you save money on your wedding! You can also see past posts (and a sneak peek at what's ahead) on this wedding budget tips page for your convenience and future reference.
Wedding Budget Tip #15:
Have you heard of Upcycling?
reuse (discarded objects or material) in such a way as to create a product of a higher quality or value than the original.
“the opportunity to upcycle trash, or turn it into new products, was vast”
Upcycling is a great way to save money and create custom, personalized decor items and more for your wedding day. Just think of all the items you have around your house that could be reused or repurposed for your wedding day.
Items like tin cans, glass jars, wine bottles, frappucino bottles, coffee cans, and other items you might toss in the recycle bin can take on a new life with the help of a little DIY. Spraypaint, adding fabrics or lace, or even glitter can totally transform your household items into gorgeous centerpiece vessels and decor.
Upcycling for your wedding is a great way to be less wasteful, both money-wise and environmentally! And the effect can be just as lovely as any professionally designed decor you've seen.
Want to see some examples?
- Bride blogger Casey created these cute table numbers by upcycling some old records.
- Casey also created these bunting banners by using some new items and repurposing some fabric scraps.
- I love the gold accents displayed in this post I wrote about creating a glamorous wedding on a budget.
- Use old wine corks you've collected to create a Wine Cork Monogram.
- Use old wrapping paper or paper scraps to create custom wedding envelope liners.
- Turn old wine bottles into table numbers!
- Create the milk glass look for less by spraypainting old jars and vases!
- Use scraps of styrofoam and fabric to create custom fabric letters for wedding decor!
- Upcycle an old pair of shoes with the help of paint and glitter to create a glittery wedding shoe in your color scheme!
- Use paper scraps to create some really unique scrolled garland!
There are so many ways to create wedding decor without spending a fortune, using items around your home that might otherwise be thrown away.
Need more ideas? Check out our DIY project tutorials!
So tell us:
Are you doing any upcycling for your wedding?
or Would you consider using upcycled wedding decor?
Leave a comment below and let us know!
Want more wedding budget tips? Come back next Tuesday for the next post in this series.