Every bride wants to feel beautiful and glamorous on her wedding day. However, I don’t think that means we need to be caked in makeup until our fiance doesn’t recognize us as we come down the aisle. I think that any bride who feels comfortable doing her own makeup everyday is capable of doing it for her wedding day, just like Kate Middleton did! I’ve decided that I would do my own makeup for my big day. Personally, I’d rather invest money into makeup that I can use over and over, rather than a one time deal. However, I know this may not be for everyone. Here’s some tips I’ve gathered if you’re considering Doing Your Own Wedding Makeup:
Doing Your Own Wedding Makeup
- Study up on bridal makeup. There hundreds of fantastic YouTube videos that give handy tips and tricks for doing your makeup. My personal favorites are the ones by makeup artist Lisa Eldridge. The Beauty Department also has a great post on DIY wedding makeup.
- Use makeup that you already have. If you’re a makeup lover like me, you probably already have drawers bursting with product that is perfectly good for your wedding day.
- If you do need to add some products, look into drugstore products. Most often, drugstore makeup is just as effective as high-end. Plus, you can look out for sales and coupons.
- However, if there is a high-end product you want, but aren’t happy with the price tag, see if there is a smaller version or if it comes in a gift set. I got three sample size Benefit products for $11 to use for my wedding makeup.
- If a product doesn’t work for you, return it. Most stores including Sephora and Ulta accept returns on used product. There is no point in keeping a product if you don’t like it and wasting your valuable money.
- Practice makes perfect. It’s better to feel comfortable with the look you’re doing, so do it several times to make sure you’re happy with the results!
- KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid. 😉 You don’t need twenty different products for nice wedding makeup. At the very least, you could just wear foundation, mascara, and maybe a rosy blush. It is most important that you feel comfortable in your skin. If you don’t like wearing makeup, don’t wear it! You look beautiful just as you are and I think your fiance would agree!
Some of the products I’m using on the big day:
Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder | Urban Decay Naked Palette | Urban Decay Naked Skin Liquid Makeup | Benefit Porefessional | Benefit Girl Meets Pearl | Maybelline Fit Me Concealer | Maybelline Volum Express The Falsies Mascara | Revlon Color Burst Lip Color
Are you planning on doing your own wedding makeup? Do you have an budget savvy makeup tips?
Editor’s note: During this time of quarantine and social distancing, some of the general wedding planning advice we share may not be applicable or possible due to restrictions on events. Please adhere to all current regulations and stay safe and healthy! Learn more here.