Hello, lovelies! It’s Elizabeth from Stockroom Vintage back to share one of my favorite DIY projects ever! When photographer Alissa Saylor came to me and asked me to style a winter picnic for Carli + Josh with Stockroom Vintage rental pieces, we knew we had to create a romantic marshmallow roast for the lovely couple. Because what’s the fun of a chilly, wintry picnic without s’mores?! Since we couldn’t build a roaring fire for this engagement shoot, I knew I had to come up with an alternative. That’s how this self-contained tabletop marshmallow roaster was born! I used a sterno burner (the kind caterers use to keep food warm) and a terra cotta pot that I glammed up with some gold paint. And, let me tell you, it really is simple to recreate. So easy, in fact, that there’s no excuse to not line a table with these at your fall or winter wedding. It’s a pretty, no-fuss way to let your guests roast their own marshmallows. These would make for the cutest make-your-own s’mores bar ever! They’d also be such a hit at any holiday party.
The materials you’ll need for this DIY:
- Paint the bottom portion of your terra cotta pot with metallic paint and let it dry.
- Fill the top half of the pot with gravel and place the sterno burner inside.
- Fill in gaps around the size of the sterno burner with gravel, as shown in the photo above.
- When you’re ready to start roasting, remove the lid from the sterno burner (and keep it!). Light the burner according to the package directions.
- Note: There won’t be a big flame when you light the burner, but you’ll be able to feel the heat radiating off it for sure! When you’ve finished your s’mores roast, replace the lid of the sterno burner to cut off the oxygen supply. Let the sterno burner cool before handling it or packing it up.
And here’s some shots of Carli + Josh enjoying their s’mores! Aren’t they just the cutest?! So fun and crazy in love. Be sure to check out Part 1 and Part 2 of this engagement session styled with Stockroom Vintage rentals by yours truly and shot by Alissa Saylor Photography for more snuggly winter inspiration! Happy marshmallow roasting!