Best Credit Cards for Engaged Couples during Wedding Planning
Advertiser Disclosure: The Budget Savvy Bride has partnered with Travel Freely for our coverage of credit card products. The Budget Savvy Bride and Travel Freely may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Earn Credit Card Points while Wedding Planning to Help Pay for Your Honeymoon
Savvy Couples are Using Credit Card Rewards to Swipe their Way to an (almost) free honeymoon with their wedding spending!
We’re breaking down our favorite and most effective cards to earn rewards to hack your way to a free honeymoon!
- Our Top 3 Favorite Cards for Travel Hacking
- Other Good Rewards Cards We Like
- Best Business Rewards Cards
Want all the best tips for Travel Hacking Your Honeymoon? Check out this post.
Planning a Wedding? Now’s the Time to Sign Up for a New Credit Card
Let’s get one thing straight — we are certainly not suggesting that you rack up a bunch of debt for your wedding day. Heck no, we’re wholeheartedly against taking on debt to pay for a wedding, because we want all couples to start their marriages off on the right financial footing. Our site exists to help you plan beautiful, #debtfreeweddings!
We do, however, encourage couples who are financially responsible to take advantage of the major perks available to them by utilizing credit card rewards! Planning a wedding couldn’t be a better time to sign up for new cards, earn bonuses, and hack your way to an (almost) free honeymoon! Just think of all those big-ticket wedding expenses — you could easily earn a minimum spending bonus with just one vendor payment.
Save big on your honeymoon with credit card rewards!
This page is filled with our top card picks for earning major perks– we’re talking enough points to get roundtrip flights, hotel stays, rental cars, and more… if you play your cards right! Read on for our recommended credit cards for engaged couples!
The Best Travel Rewards Cards for Couples
Scroll down to read the breakdown of the sign-up bonuses, minimum spending requirements, additional perks, and why we love each of these cards for earning points to travel hack!
About the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
- Sign-up Bonus: Spend $4,000 in first 3 months and receive 60,000 Ultimate Rewards Points
- Annual Fee: $95
- Perks: Trip insurance, baggage insurance, purchase protection, 2 points per every dollar spent on travel and dining, 1 point per every dollar spent on all other purchases
Our Take: One of the best cards out there, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card offers a massive sign-up bonus that can be transferred to Chase’s travel partners including United Airlines, Southwest Airlines and Marriott hotels.
About the United Explorer Card
- Sign-up Bonus: Spend $3,000 in the first 3 months and receive 50,000 United miles
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first year, then $95 every year after that
- Perks: Trip insurance, baggage insurance, purchase protection, 2 miles per dollar spent at restaurants, hotels and on United purchases, 1 mile per dollar spent on all other purchases, 1st checked bag free, statement credit for Global Entry/TSA pre-check purchases
Our Take: The United Explorer card is a solid no fee (for the first year) option that can provide travel to some amazing places, especially if coupled with the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card.
About the Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card
- Sign-up Bonus: Spend $2,000 in the first 3 months and receive 60,000 Marriott points
- Annual Fee: None
- Perks: 3 points per dollar spent at Marriott locations, 2 points per dollar spent on other travel purchases, 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases, stay 4 nights at a Marriot and get your 5th night free
Our Take: The Marriott Bonvoy Bold card is Marriott’s no fee alternative to the Boundless card. You won’t receive an annual free night from this card, but the no fee and 50,000 point sign-up bonus are a great way to get started with travel hacking.
Other Travel Rewards Cards We Like
If for whatever reason the above offers aren’t right for you, these three cards are also excellent choices for a newbie travel-hacker.
- Sign-up Bonus: Spend $5,000 in 3 months and receive 50,000 Marriott points
- Annual Fee: $95
- Perks: 6 points per dollar spent at Marriott locations, 2 points per dollar spent on all other purchases, receive one free night valued at 35,000 points on your card opening anniversary each year, stay 4 nights at a Marriott and get your 5th night free
Our Take: The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless card is an upgraded version of the Bold card. With a huge 100,000 point sign-up bonus, Marriott’s stay 4 nights get your 5th night free perk and annual free night, the Boundless card is a great option if you can meet the minimum spending requirement and don’t mind paying the annual fee.
- Sign-up Bonus: Spend $500 in the first 3 months and receive $150 cash back (or 15,000 Ultimate Rewards Points if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card open, too)
- Annual Fee: None
- Perks: 1.5% cash back on all purchases, can turn your cash back into points if you also have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card open.
Our Take: The Chase Freedom Unlimited card is great for everyday purchasing. With no annual fee and 1.5% cash back on all purchases, this card will reward you for life’s everyday expenses.
- Sign-up Bonus: Spend $1,000 in the first 3 months and receive 50,000 Rapid Rewards points
- Annual Fee: $149
- Perks: 2 points per every dollar spent on Southwest Airlines purchases, 2 points per every dollar spent on hotels and car rentals who partner with Southwest, 1 point per every dollar spent on all other purchases, earn 3,000 anniversary points each year your card remains open
Our Take: The Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority card is the perfect card for those looking to get the most bang for their buck for domestic and some international flights. With a low annual fee and minimum spend and roundtrip flights that can be as low as 18,000 points, this one card could fly you and your partner to many desirable honeymoon destinations!
Want to learn the secrets to booking your dream honeymoon for (almost) free? Get the tips here.
The Best Business Credit Cards for Rewards Points
Own a business and want to cash in on extra rewards to put towards your honeymoon? Check out these great business credit card offers via CardRatings.com!
Want to learn how to use Credit Card Rewards to get an (almost) free honeymoon? Check out our brand new e-book!
We’ve put together the ultimate guide to using credit card rewards to book your honeymoon travel! Learn how to earn travel rewards, cash back, and swipe your way to an amazing trip for a fraction of the price. We outline the best travel cards, best rewards cards, and the step-by-step process to help you book a practically free trip! Don’t miss out!
The Budget-Savvy Honeymoon
The Ultimate Guide to Booking
the Trip of Your Dreams for (almost) Free!
Just opening one new credit card and earning a welcome bonus in your first three months of opening the card could save you over $500! Get the book to learn how to take advantage of these incredible travel rewards by using a credit card for purchases you were planning to make anyway!
- 100+ Genius Ways to Save Money on a Wedding
- Travel Hacking: How to Save Money on Your Honeymoon
- Honeymoon Travel Hacks for the Budget Savvy Bride
The Budget Savvy Bride has partnered with Travel Freely for our coverage of credit card products. The Budget Savvy Bride and Travel Freely may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities.