This post is part of a recurring series here on BSB where we share wedding budget tips to help you save money on your wedding! You can access all the wedding budget tips on a single page for your convenience and future reference. This post is all about ways to cut costs by borrowing items for your wedding decor instead of buying new!
Wedding Budget Tip #13:
Borrow items for your wedding instead of buying new to save money.
Last week we talked about enlisting the help of family and friends in executing your big day. This week follows a similar theme, but instead of their talents, I’m talking about their stuff.
What do the folks in your circle own that could be of help in executing your wedding day? It could be anything from wedding decor to tables and chairs. What can you borrow that could help you save on possible rentals or purchases?
Borrowing an item for your wedding means you’re not having to pay to buy something new or to rent it from a rental company.
Examples of items you could borrow for your wedding
For my wedding, we borrowed tons of things from loved ones. A few things we borrowed were:
- a handful of tables and tablecloths from my parents’ church
- decorative vases/jars for our candy buffet from my BFF’s mom
- cake stands for the dessert bar from some friends
- fancy cake cutter/utensils from my bestie’s mom
- a decorative trough to hold the beer from my husband’s groomsman
- a PA system/amp for our DIY reception music setup from another groomsman
- a vintage car from a groomsman’s dad to take fun “getaway” photos in
- metal scoops for our candy bar from a friend
- reception flats borrowed from a friend
Borrowing items for our wedding saved us tons. All in all these items that were borrowed probably saved us several hundred dollars or more.
Things to keep in mind when borrowing wedding items
Of course, there are some things to keep in mind when it comes to borrowing items from your wedding:
- Who will be responsible for getting the item to the wedding?
- When does the person need the item back?
- Who will be responsible for ensuring the item is handled with care and delivered back to its owner after the wedding?
- Will it be easy to transport the item to and from the wedding location?
Just be sure to treat the items with care and ensure they are returned in the same condition you borrowed them.
If it’s an easy thing to set up and coordinate, and your friend is willing — why not save yourself some money and do some borrowing for your big day?
So tell us: are you planning to borrow items for your wedding? If so, what?
Leave a comment below and let us know!
📌 Pin This! 📌
GET OUR BEST MONEY-SAVING TRICKS & HACKS!
Click the button below to read more. wedding budget tips!