Envelope Liner Tutorial : DIY Envelope Liners for Your Wedding Invitations!
Want to make your wedding invitations look extra glam? Learn how to make your own custom envelope liners for your wedding invitations and stationery!
I dunno about you, but I love the look of an envelope liner — it just adds an extra special touch to your wedding invitation suite. I dig the added flair of an envelope liner so much, I’ve actually been adding them to everything — stuff like Christmas cards, too! I’ve seen expensive pre-made liners sold just about everywhere from Paper Source to Etsy to Minted, and getting some custom-made is even more outrageous! The great thing is they are fairly easy to do yourself if you have the time and energy to do them, so I thought I’d share a tutorial with you today!
How to Make Your Own Envelope Liners
The typical wedding invite size is 5×7, which uses an A7 envelope. I am a huge fan of the Euro Flap Style sold at Paper Source, which run about $5 for 10 envelopes. They come in a variety of colors so you’re sure to find the perfect color to match your wedding theme!
If you don’t want to create your own template, you could also get an envelope liner template set from Paper Source that contains clear plastic templates to make envelope liners in these sizes: 4bar, A2, A6, A7, A9, 5 3/4″ square, 6 1/2″ square. The kit costs $10.95 and if you see yourself using it a lot in the future for projects, I think it’s a good investment because the templates should hold up well over time.
But if you’re on a super-tight budget and don’t want to buy the templates, I’m going to share how to make your own envelope liner template so you can then create your own envelope liners!
DIY Envelope Liner Tutorial: How to Make Your Own Custom Envelope Liners
Supplies You’ll Need
- One piece of heavyweight cardstock or chipboard
- Whatever paper you want to line your envelopes with (we love wrapping paper)
- Xacto Knife / Scissors
- Glue sticks or tape runner
- A cutting mat or something to protect your table
Budget Savvy Tip: Using wrapping paper is a very cost-effective solution as you can trace lots of liners onto a roll.
Quick and Easy Directions to line an A7 envelope:
1. Take one envelope and trace it onto some heavyweight cardstock or chipboard.
2. Cut out your template from the chipboard
3. Cut 3/4 inch off the bottom of your template, and 1/8 inch from each side. This will allow the liners to slide in easily.
4. Trace the template onto your envelope liner papers. Be sure to trace onto the back of the patterned side of your paper.
5. Cut out your liners.
You’ll then have a finished liner like this:
6. Next, you can insert the liners into your envelopes.
Fold your envelope flap with the liner inside before you secure the liner with adhesive.
7. Use a tape runner or glue stick to secure the liner to the flap.
Voila! You now have a beautifully lined envelope!
Using different patterns or papers can really create unique looks for your envelopes, so explore your options:
Envelope liners can really make a big impact on your wedding suite and it doesn’t have to cost a lot to do!
Hope you found this envelope liner tutorial helpful! Are you crafting any DIY elements of your wedding invitations? Share them with us in the community!
All photos by Mikkel Paige Photography