???? Pin This! ????
Your big day is over but the to-do list keeps growing! What are the most important post-wedding tasks? Check out this Newlywed Checklist to get all the details taken care of!
When you're planning a wedding, there seems to be a never-ending list of to-do items, from selecting your colors and submitting payments to buying gifts and writing speeches. It can be easy to assume that life will slow down after the big day and in some ways, it does. But there's also a whole slew of action-items that get added to your list after you say, “I do!”
Much of these items only come into play if you're choosing to change your name after getting married or combine your household finances with your new spouse. But no matter what your plans are, it's a good idea to take a look at the possible tasks you'll need to tackle post-nuptials. So we've created what we're lovingly calling the Ultimate Newlywed Checklist to put all the info you need in one handy place!
So after the vows are exchanged and you've returned from the honeymoon, where do you start? Check out this list below to get a headstart on this post-wedding to-do list.
Post-Wedding Tasks (week after the wedding)
- Return Rented Attire
- Return Rental Equipment
- Take Wedding Dress to be Cleaned
- Make sure all Vendor Bills have been paid in full
- Record Gifts + Givers for Thank You Notes
- Write + Mail Thank You Notes
- Write Wedding Vendor Reviews Online
Are You Changing Your Last Name?
If you're planning to change your name when you get married, check out this Name Change Checklist. Once your name is officially changed, you'll need new EVERYTHING. I mean, everything. Debit cards, credit cards, insurance cards, bank accounts, utility bills, checks and more will all have to be updated to your new married name. It's a TON of work, but we're here to help you through it! 🙂
- Name Change (if applicable)
- Social Security Card
- Drivers License
- Update your name on your bank accounts, loans and credit cards
Are You Moving to a New Address?
- Send out new contact info or change of address (if necessary)
- Update Drivers License
- Update Your address with your financial institutions (banks, credit cards, etc)
- Update your address with your employer
- Renting? Consider renters insurance
Newlywed Financial Tasks
- Set up a joint bank account for household finances
- Update your direct deposit if necessary
- Decide if you'll be filing taxes jointly as a married couple
- Meet with a financial planner to discuss financial goals
- Order New Checks with your Married Name/New Address
When it comes to checks: 4checks.com and Checks Unlimited both have awesome prices on checks. If you're feeling fancy you can put your wedding photos ON your checks. Yes, I'm being serious. You likely paid a pretty penny for those pics, so why not plaster them on ALL THE THINGS, even the checks you use to pay your mortgage. The accounting department at your bank is sure to swoon over them. You know you wanna…
Just imagine this check featuring your first dance photo… Fun, right?
Right now 4Checks.com has a special check offer: 4-Boxes for $12.00 with Free Shipping, (basically your 4th Box is free) with just a $1.95 handling charge. Budget Savvy Checks, anyone? Use code DB4381 at check out.
Newlywed Future Planning Tasks
- Check on your health insurance– should you switch to your spouse's plan?
- Purchase Life Insurance
- Have Wills Drafted or Updated
- Consider disability insurance
A note about insurance: A lot of people tend to think that life insurance policies cost a lot of money, and that misconception often stops them from getting one. However, buying a policy at a young age and when you're healthy can also save you tons of money in the long run, so there's no reason to put it off. Bestow offers life insurance policies starting as low as $2.50 per month! Learn more and apply for a quote today!
We hope this list is helpful in tackling your post-wedding tasks!