Looking for affordable wedding catering? Check out this list of inexpensive wedding foods to serve at your reception
Let’s face it, weddings are expensive.
As most of you already know, reception catering is one of the largest expenses for a wedding. However, there are several ways to lower your catering bill.
You could offer a limited selection like a signature drink instead of a full bar, use seasonal products, and/or host a dessert-only reception.
While those are amazing cost-effective options, one of the most obvious is selecting inexpensive foods for your wedding meal.
Below, we've composed a list of ten affordable wedding catering options to serve your guests for less. We’ll even show you how to creatively incorporate these inexpensive foods into your wedding menu!
This affordable wedding food list contains items you may not think about, especially in terms of a wedding.
We hope this post proves three important things:
1. Great food doesn’t have to cost a ton of money.
2. Creativity is key
3. The presentation is just as important as what you’re serving
Top 10 Inexpensive Wedding Foods
2. Peanut Butter
6. Ramen Noodles
9. Canned Tuna
Cheap Catering Ideas for your Wedding
Opt for Heavy Appetizers
Choose cheap wedding foods
Pick filling foods
Serve casual fare
Read on for inspiration for an affordable wedding menu filled with cheap foods to serve at your wedding reception!
Affordable wedding foods and how to include them in your reception menu
Budget-friendly Brunch Wedding Meal Options
If you’re hosting a brunch reception, these items would work really well with your menu. There are multiple obvious ways to serve eggs, bread, potatoes, and oatmeal at a brunch. Let’s take a look at our list of affordable food items, and how they fit into a wedding-appropriate menu.
- Eggs: Huevos Rancheros, Omelets, Scrambled Eggs, Poached Eggs, Baked Eggs in Bread Bowls
- Peanut Butter: Peanut Butter Pancake Syrup, Peanut Butter with a Variety of Crudites
- Bananas: Banana Smoothies, Banana Nut Muffins, Banana Bread
- Jello: Jello Squares
- Pasta: Macaroni & Cheese, Pasta Salad
- Ramen Noodles: Fried Ramen Noodles
- Oatmeal: Any Flavor of Oatmeal, Oatmeal Pancakes, Oatmeal Muffins
- Potatoes: Latkes, Hashbrowns, Home Fries
- Canned Tuna: Tomato, Corn & Tuna Salad, Mini Tuna Salad Sandwiches
- Bread: Variety of Toasts and Jams, Traditional French Toast, French Toast Cups, Bread Pudding
Catering Stations, Food Displays, and Heavy Appetizers
If a brunch reception doesn’t interest you, consider stations, displays, and/or passed appetizers for an affordable wedding catering option!
- Eggs: Deviled Eggs
- Peanut Butter: Gourmet Peanut Butter Sandwiches. Try additions such as bananas, marshmallows, jelly, chocolate, etc. As well as substitutions such as bagels, raisin bread, etc., Peanut Butter Cookies, Peanut Butter & Banana Crepes
- Bananas: Banana Pudding, Banana Smoothies, Bananas Foster
- Jello: Jello Shots
- Pasta: Fried Macaroni & Cheese, Pasta Station
- Ramen Noodles: Stir Fry
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Potatoes: Mashed Potatoes, French Fries; Potato Salad Cups
- Canned Tuna: Tuna Cake Sliders
- Bread: Bruschetta Bar, Crostinis
Read this post: think outside the box for wedding catering
Plated Meal Options that Are Actually Affordable
If you and your fiancé are opting for a plated meal- don’t worry! There are budget-friendly options available. Check out these Inexpensive Wedding Foods that you can serve as a plated meal at your wedding reception.
- Eggs: Baked Eggs in Zucchini
- Peanut Butter: Asian Salad with Peanut Butter Glaze
- Bananas: Banana Sorbet, Banana Bread Pudding
- Jello: Molded Jello
- Pasta: Spaghetti Primavera, Linguine, Baked Penne Pasta, etc
- Ramen Noodles: Thai Curry Vegetable Soup
- Oatmeal: Wild Mushroom & Asparagus, Oatmeal, Oatmeal Crusted Chicken or Fish
- Potatoes: Baked Potatoes, Potato Soup, Duchess Potatoes, Roasted Potatoes
- Canned Tuna: Salad Nicoise
- Bread: Rolls, Breadsticks
There are two things to note:
- Besides their price and availability, another great thing about these particular items is that they’re filling. It doesn’t take a lot to get full from these items.
- These are only suggestions; all these items do not have to be served together. Your menu should be cohesive!