Top 10 Cheap Ingredients to Incorporate into Your Wedding Menu
Get creative ideas to lower your wedding catering bill with a list of cheap wedding foods– plus learn how to incorporate them into the menu!
Let’s face it, weddings can be an expensive endeavor.
As most of you already know, reception catering is one of the largest expenses for a wedding. However, there are several ways to lower your catering bill. If you’re looking for wedding reception food ideas on a budget, this post is for you!
You could offer a limited selection like a signature drink instead of a full bar, use seasonal products, and/or host a dessert-only reception.
While those are amazing cost-effective options, one of the most obvious is selecting inexpensive foods for your wedding meal.
Below, we’ve composed a list of ten affordable catering options to serve your wedding guests for less. We’ll even show you how to creatively incorporate these inexpensive foods into your wedding menu!
This affordable wedding food list contains items you may not think about, especially in terms of a wedding.
We hope this post proves three important things:
- Great food doesn’t have to cost a ton of money.
- Creativity is key
- The presentation is just as important as what you’re serving
Top 10 Inexpensive Wedding Foods to incorporate into your wedding reception menu
If you’re looking for creative, outside of the box ideas to feed your wedding guests for less, consider the recipes you could potentially create with these simple and affordable ingredients! Remember, these are just ingredients, not complete serving suggestions, therefore the only limit is your imagination and creativity!
2. Peanut Butter
6. Ramen Noodles
9. Canned Tuna
Cheap Catering Ideas for your Wedding
- Have a Brunch Wedding
- Opt for Heavy Appetizers
- Choose cheap wedding foods
- Pick filling foods
- Serve casual fare
- Consider a food truck
- Opt for a restaurant vs a caterer
Read on for inspiration for an affordable wedding menu filled with cheap foods to serve at your wedding reception!
Affordable wedding foods and how to include them in your reception menu
If you’re looking for inspiration and ideas for how to incorporate those cheap wedding foods into a menu that is actually appetizing and edible, check out these ideas.
Budget-friendly Brunch Wedding Meal Options
If you’re hosting a brunch wedding reception, these cheap food items would work really well with your menu. There are multiple obvious ways to serve eggs, bread, potatoes, and oatmeal at a brunch. Let’s take a look at our list of inexpensive food items, and how they fit into a wedding-appropriate menu.
- Eggs: Huevos Rancheros, Omelets, Scrambled Eggs, Poached Eggs, Baked Eggs in Bread Bowls
- Peanut Butter: Peanut Butter Pancake Syrup, Peanut Butter with a Variety of Crudites
- Bananas: Banana Smoothies, Banana Nut Muffins, Banana Bread
- Jello: Jello Squares
- Pasta: Macaroni & Cheese, Pasta Salad
- Ramen Noodles: Fried Ramen Noodles
- Oatmeal: Any Flavor of Oatmeal, Oatmeal Pancakes, Oatmeal Muffins
- Potatoes: Latkes, Hashbrowns, Home Fries
- Canned Tuna: Tomato, Corn & Tuna Salad, Mini Tuna Salad Sandwiches
- Bread: Variety of Toasts and Jams, Traditional French Toast, French Toast Cups, Bread Pudding
Catering Stations, Food Displays, and Heavy Appetizers
If a brunch reception doesn’t interest you, consider stations, displays, and/or passed appetizers for an affordable wedding catering option! Check out how these inexpensive foods fit into this type of wedding menu:
- Eggs: Deviled Eggs
- Peanut Butter: Gourmet Peanut Butter Sandwiches. Try additions such as bananas, marshmallows, jelly, chocolate, etc. As well as substitutions such as bagels, raisin bread, etc., Peanut Butter Cookies, Peanut Butter & Banana Crepes
- Bananas: Banana Pudding, Banana Smoothies, Bananas Foster
- Jello: Jello Shots
- Pasta: Fried Macaroni & Cheese, Pasta Station
- Ramen Noodles: Stir Fry
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Potatoes: Mashed Potatoes, French Fries; Potato Salad Cups
- Canned Tuna: Tuna Cake Sliders
- Bread: Bruschetta Bar, Crostinis
Read this post: think outside the box for wedding catering
Plated Meal Options that Are Actually Affordable
If you and your fiancé are opting for a plated meal- don’t worry! There are budget-friendly options available. Check out these Inexpensive Wedding Foods that you can serve as a plated meal at your wedding reception.
- Eggs: Baked Eggs in Zucchini
- Peanut Butter: Asian Salad with Peanut Butter Glaze
- Bananas: Banana Sorbet, Banana Bread Pudding
- Jello: Molded Jello
- Pasta: Spaghetti Primavera, Linguine, Baked Penne Pasta, etc
- Ramen Noodles: Thai Curry Vegetable Soup
- Oatmeal: Wild Mushroom & Asparagus, Oatmeal, Oatmeal Crusted Chicken or Fish
- Potatoes: Baked Potatoes, Potato Soup, Duchess Potatoes, Roasted Potatoes
- Canned Tuna: Salad Nicoise
- Bread: Rolls, Breadsticks
There are two things to note:
- Besides their price and availability, another great thing about these particular items is that they are filling. It doesn’t take a lot to get full from these items.
- These are only suggestions; all these items do not have to be served together. The ultimate goal is for your menu should be cohesive!
Create a Printed Wedding Menu for your Reception
We hope you’ve found this list of Inexpensive Wedding Foods helpful and inspiring! You may even want to browse Pinterest for some creative recipes to incorporate these affordable foods into your wedding catering menu! And we hope it helps you save money on your wedding catering, too!